February 13, 2005

From the papers...28

(Actually, from TV Mobile)

A campaign for abstinence from sex. What? PRE-marital sex, I meant. The slogan was something like 'Abstain from sex until marriage because you are worth waiting for.' Doesn't that ring a bell? Hint: A cosmetic brand.

Details are, the non-profit org that is hosting this campaign will be targetting to sell this white and red wristbands to teenagers at Orchard road this weekend. Red signifies true love (??? I always associated red with true passion more than true love) and white signifies purity.

I am not for, neither against it. Not the campaign, but pre-marital sex. I just find it extremely amusing that there's actually such a campaign in Singapore. Two dimensions. Firstly, if sex is the most private sphere of an individual, what happened such that we need a national campaign to address our sexual conduct? Secondly, is a campaign as this even close to addressing the issue at hand?

So what if 8000 youths (that's their target) actually purchase this national colours wristband? Does that mean they subscribe to the slogan? Who are they trying to kid? Who are we trying to kid?

The surface issue at hand is increased rate of abortions among the teenagers group, not whether the gift of virginity is worth waiting for or not. The logical thing to do is to get Durex to sponsor complimentary packets of condoms and distribute it to people. If need be, have a public demonstration about how to use a condom properly. I'm thinking of, erm, bananas, maybe? (haha, so people will never think of bananas in the same way ever again). That would be prevention.

Now come consequences. Show the public the process of an abortion. Show the public the angst of an orphan who was abandoned by irresponsible parents. Blow up poster size pictures of a gory scene from an abortion, give it out for them to stick it on wherever they are most likely to commit the act. They probably won't, of course! I wouldn't, for crying out loud! But, I trust visuals will drive home the message better and deeper. After all, who would bother wearing the wristband in the heat of action?

And to address a deeper issue, isn't this also about a sense of responsibility? Sorely lacking in our society these days. But, that's another arena altogether.

We don't need a campaign for a weekend, and was it intentional that it's the weekend just before Valentine's Day? We need a comprehensive and extensive education effort.

I wonder what other silly campaigns can we come up with next...

p.s. this is supposed to be one part of a 3-parts blog by Bionic, Archie and myself. Archie didn't reply to my sms except to say that he's celebrating V-day with his gf. So, I guess the ball is in Bionic's court now. Keep it bouncing, gal!

Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 13:53